Skip to content
Go to Top
LigniOx technology based on alkali-O2 oxidation is a cost-efficient and environmentally friendly way to convert lignin into versatile dispersants.
- LigniOx concrete plasticizers provide a wide range of application possibilities with high market volumes (over 10 MMT/a).
- LigniOx lignin as a concrete plasticizer provides:
- – Higher performance compared to lignosulfonate admixture.
- – Comparable performance with synthetic superplasticizers at higher dosage.
- Performance of LigniOx lignin has been shown also as gypsum plasticizer and dispersant of various inorganic pigments and fillers (e.g. for paints and coatings).
- Safe and low-cost bulk chemicals (O2, NaOH) are used in the process, enabling integration into biorefineries.
- LigniOx technology has been developed and patented by VTT:
- ALKALI-O2 OXIDIZED LIGNIN AS DISPERSANT (VTT), WO2015049424, CA 2999226 – Granted, Canada
- USE OF OXIDIZED LIGNIN AS A DISPERSANT (VTT), WO2017077198, FI20135986, US9676667, ZL201480054352.3 – Granted, Finland, USA, China
- METHOD FOR PRODUCING OXIDISED LIGNIN IN KRAFT PULP MILL (VTT, Andritz, Metsä Fibre), WO2020157386
- For further information see:
Kalliola et al., Alkali-O2 oxidized lignin – A bio-based concrete plasticizer, Ind. Crops Prod 74 (2015), 150-157.
LigniOx for high-performance biodispersants
LigniOx technology – Concept
LigniOx concept for kraft pulp mill
What makes LigniOx interesting?